First Time College Student
The instructions below will take first-time college students step-by-step thru the process of applying for admission to Southeast New Mexico College. First-time students are defined as students who have never attended college from any institution. If you have attended college from another institution, you are considered a transfer student.
In July of 2021, House Bill 212 became law making NMSU Carlsbad an independent college named Southeast New Mexico College (SENMC). SENMC is in the process of transitioning from NMSU to SENMC. Due to the transition process, all degree and non-degree seeking students will temporarily remain with an NMSU status. Upon full completion of the transition, students will officially have a SENMC status.
Attention: While we transition, students will apply for SENMC admissions through the NMSU Online Admissions Application.
You will need to perform the following tasks:
- Create an account to submit an online application (Note: this account is for Admissions only)
- Submit an online application. Select “Carlsbad” as your campus. The $20 application fee will be waived.
After you have submitted your application, you will receive a letter of congratulations from NMSU Carlsbad (It usually takes about 24 hours until you receive your congratulation letter). You will be assigned an identification number that is referred to as your Aggie ID. You will need that ID when you create a myNMSU account in step 5.
1) Have official transcripts (from high school, GED® , HiSET® , and/or previous college(s) sent to: email@example.com OR NMSU Carlsbad/SENMC, 1500 University Dr., Carlsbad, NM, 88220. We accept official transcriptions in print and digital format.
Official transcripts must come directly from the institution where you obtained your diploma. If the document is delivered to us from anyone, other than the institution, it is not considered an official transcript.
Processing of financial aid takes around 4-6 weeks. It is recommended, but not required, that you take the Accuplacer placement test while you wait for processing.
Note: You may be asked to provide a variety of information. Click here for tips that may help you successfully complete the form. To check the status of your financial aid application, please login to your myNMSU account .
You may qualify for additional financial aid of scholarships, such as:
Veterans Affairs Benefits
Testing may be waived for students who have finished High School within the last 5 years or for those that have completed the ACT/SAT within the last three years; are transferring in math, reading, or English courses; or pursuing certain career technical programs. For those that graduated after the 5 year period stated above, you will need to take placement exam if they have not taken Math or English courses in the last two years and do not have a degree. Call (575) 234-9220 to inquire.
To complete testing:
1) Contact the Learning Assistance Center at (575) 234-9315, Room 253
2) Check for testing availability (Contact Melissa Dunaway at (575) 234-9319)
3) Complete the math, reading, and/or English placement test as needed. Please have the following information with you: Aggie ID number and photo ID.
Optional: You may review test prep material on the Learning Assistance Center, room 253, or try the Online ACCUPLACER practice tests.
If applicable, talk with the Student Accessibility Services Coordinator about testing accommodations. Visit room 111 or call (575) 234-9321.
The Carlsbad Aggie Welcome and Orientation will help you learn more about the campus and the resources we have available for you. You must complete the online orientation before registering. Please take time to read through the modules and complete the quiz at the end of the online orientation.
- Sign in to https://my.nmsu.edu.
- Click on the Applications folder under the Launchpad (bottom left) then on learn.nmsu.edu (Canvas).
- In the top of the page, you will see a message stating that you have been invited to the Carlsbad Aggie Welcome & Orientation. Click the “Accept” button.
- Open the course on your left that is named “Carlsbad Aggie Welcome & Orientation.”
- Click on the picture and then the Orientation Overview button.
- Go through the modiles and complete the quiz at the end.
- Complete the quiz at the end of the online orientation.
To schedule an appointment, visit our Online Scheduler , call the Student Services office at (575) 234-9225, or visit the SENMC campus at 1500 University Drive (Room 111), Carlsbad, NM 88220.
Please select Virtual as the location and New Student Advising as the service when scheduling your appointment.
For step-by-step instructions on how to schedule/cancel an appointment with an advisor, click here.
NOTE: Southeast New Mexico College will you be using the NMSU payment portal during the NMSU Carlsbad to SENMC transition. You will be redirected to the NMSU payment portal to complete your transaction.
You may pay tuition and fees by mail, phone, in person, or online at pay.nmsu.edu . Stop by the Business Office in room 108 to inquire about the payment plan option or call (575) 234-9200
Terms & Conditions of Registration
Payment Due Dates and Options
Payment is due in full by September 15 for the fall semester, February 15 for the spring semester, and June 15 for the summer session. Those who wish to utilize the payment plan option will be charged a fee of $10 to accounts not paid in full by the 15th of each month during the term.
- Apply Today!
- Lista para Registrarse (En Español)
- Summer 2023 Admission Checklist
- Fall 2023 Admission Checklist
- Schedule an Appointment with Admissions
- Virtual Campus Tour
Location: Room 111
Monday - Thursday: 8:00 am -6:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Phone: (575) 234-9221